This is the time of year many families schedule their annual furnace tune up. We can’t assume, however, that everyone knows what is involved in a furnace tune up or why it is important. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of eight questions and answers about an annual furnace tune up.
Furnace Tune-Up FAQ’s
- What is an annual furnace tune up? An annual tune up is a yearly inspection and cleaning of your furnace to look for potential problems and ensure the heating system is operating efficiently and safely.
- When should I schedule an annual furnace tune up? An annual furnace tune up can be done any time, but most families schedule them in the fall, typically around September and October. Scheduling before cold weather hits, when HVAC techs aren’t as busy, makes it easier to get an appointment time that’s convenient for you.
- What is involved in a furnace tune up? This depends somewhat on the company that performs the furnace tune up. At minimum, a tune up typically consists of changing the filter, cleaning the furnace, checking electrical connections and voltage, lubricating moving parts, checking burners and ignition, inspection of the condensate drain, chimney, and flue, checking thermostat performance, visually inspecting the heat exchanger, checking and tightening all electrical connections and testing for carbon monoxide. Althoff’s complete furnace tune up also includes a combustion analysis on both the water heater and furnace to ensure they’re working safely, as well as a measure of the draft pressure on the water heater. We also measure ductwork system static pressure to check for leaks, blockages and other inefficiencies in the system. Not every HVAC company does a combustion analysis, draft check and static pressure test, but we include them because they’re the best way to ensure the safe operation of your gas furnace.
- Why is a furnace tune up important? A furnace tune up is important not only for the safety of your family but to also make sure your furnace will perform as intended throughout the cold weather months. It can also help your furnace run more efficiently.
- Can I perform a furnace tune up on my own? While there may be some elements of a tune up that the average homeowner could handle, like changing the furnace filter, it’s unsafe to perform a complete furnace tune up without the proper equipment and training.
- What should I expect to pay for a furnace tune up? You may see furnace tune up coupons advertising $39 or $49 specials, but be cautious. Many time these coupon specials are nothing more than a way for an HVAC company to get into your home so they can recommend more extensive (and costly) repairs or services. Make sure you select an experienced company with a solid reputation. In the Chicago area, a thorough furnace tune up from a reputable HVAC service typically costs anywhere from $80-$140, depending on what’s included and if there are any special offers.
- Is a an annual furnace tune up worth it? A furnace tune up provides several valuable results:
- Save on heating energy costs. A regularly-maintained furnace will operate more efficiently, using less energy and saving you money on your heating bills.
- Keep you and your family safer. A gas furnace that isn’t operating properly can can give off lethal levels of carbon monoxide and even pose a fire hazard. An annual tune up can find leaks and other potential problems so they can be addressed.
- Prevent inconvenient breakdowns. No one wants to have to call for emergency HVAC service in the middle of a cold winter night. A fall furnace tune up can detect developing issues so they can be resolved before they become serious.
- Extend the life of your furnace. Dirt and deterioration put added stress on your heating system. A furnace that’s clean and in good working order will last longer and have fewer costly breakdowns.
- Why should I choose Althoff Industries for a furnace tune up? Althoff Industries has been serving the Chicago area for over 50 years. Your appointment will be scheduled within a convenient 2-hour window. Our experienced technicians call when they’re on their way and then park the clearly-marked service truck in front of your house, not in the driveway. Your technician will greet you with a smile and a business card and will be dressed in a clean uniform with a name badge. We truly stand behind our work and do not consider a job complete until the customer is completely satisfied with our services. Contact us today to schedule an appointment, or call us at 815-455-7000.